Sunday, March 7, 2010

Antropophagus (1980)



Truly a great film by Euro-trash master Joe D'Amato.

When a group of tourists become stranded on an uninhabited island, they soon find out why there is no one left alive....

This film did not sit well with me upon viewing it the first time. I enjoyed it, but didn't find anything that extraordinary about it. Being a Video Nasty and have a great trailer, I was really let down after watching it.

However, like a few of my all time favorite films, I began to think more and more about this film. I was given the opportunity recently to buy the 2-Disc Shriek Show DVD for very cheap and watched it tonight and LOVED IT!

The atmosphere of this film is what makes it (and the gory ending doesn't hurt either). Composed of a great cast, a great score and sound design this is a must see for any lover of Euro trash film or D'Amato fans.

AKA- The Grim Reaper

This film also has a sequel which was released by MYA COMMUNICATIONS under the uninspired title of "Horrible." It was previously known as Antropophagus 2 and Absurd, but now look for "Horrible." This sequel is just as good and from my recollection it is a bit more violent and gory!!


No comments:

Post a Comment